Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

On hazing and grinding

 We've gotten back from this crazy multi-state library tour and we've already had two planning meetings for how to absorb all the info and share it with others in the organization. I have been rather taken aback by how many people have brought up "burn out" in the conversations we are having about this trip and our plans.

I don't understand why someone would position themselves as not wanting to do too much, while we are in discussions about how to improve our organization. I think some of this is generational: Gen X is all about the grind and Gen Z is all about self care. Even so, this seems like weird timing to me. Seems like a person would want their boss to know they are raring to go, rather than emphasizing how they don't want to work too hard at this vital and momentous moment.

I've been thinking a lot about my original graduate school experience in psychology. Maybe things have changed, but that experience was basically an exercise in hazing. You were expected to read hundreds of pages of material for each class, come prepared, generate thoughtful responses during discussions, and, if you couldn't hack it, you were out (not too different from the TV show The Paper Chase, about first year laws students). You were expected to bring your A game every fucking day because you were joining an exclusive club, full of brilliant badasses, and you had to keep up. My professors, and my peers for that matter, treated what we were doing as god damn serious, and you had to prove you had what it takes to be a part of it.

I'm not saying that is an ideal educational situation...I'm just saying I am a product of that system, and I learned to take my work seriously and to respect my obligations to it. I went on to work as a research assistant, associate, coordinator, and manager in a variety of places, including at several universities, with PIs who expected their staff to make a substantial contribution - THAT was the "price of admission."

Again, I'm not saying that's better than the cuddly world of library science...I'm just saying that's the environment I spent about 25 years in, and my current situation is a little puzzling to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home