Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Struggling with child support

Yet again, I'm forced to be Larry's conscience. He's slipping further and further behind what is owed according to our divorce agreement (also known as COURT ORDER), because TXRH will not garnish his bonus check. I spoke to Child Support Enforcement twice, including to a supervisor, who basically said that they asked TXRH for the money but TXRH claimed they are garnishing the maximum; they say there is nothing else they can do. It's insane that he makes so much money and I can't get the little scrap I agree to. Apparently my next move is to file a document with family court, noting he is out of compliance - I downloaded the form from the internet and I can file it for free, no lawyer needed.

Here's his sad, sad response (after I texted and called him for 24 hours with no reply). Trying to act like he can't afford it - he ONLY gets $1200 a month to live on, um, "plus his bonus" (which is 2/3 of his compensation - as his W-2 clearly documents). 

He's saving a lot of money, living in Watertown in Stefanie's house, and he's saving hundreds of dollars in gas not driving back and forth. Plus, she's his marketing person at the restaurant now, so her income has increased substantially! And the expense he mentions, paying for "online services for everyone" is a few dollars a month for Netflix and Hulu, which he would pay anyway (I'm sure his new family uses those services) - he doesn't pay hundreds for wifi or cable access anymore (at least not for us). Plus he doesn't spend any money on the kids - no gifts, no meals out, no trips to the mall - that all has to come out of the child support and maintenance (which is fine, if I was actually getting the full amount).

I have bills too, including car insurance for the kids, which went up when Alana bought her car. And I pay 100% of the kids' health insurance - he should have to pay half according to NY law, but I negotiated that away as well.

I just love how he always starts "I'm trying to pay..." A huge lie. All he cares about is getting the garnishment off, but he will still have to pay the full $2500 each month, which he's not doing now. The current situation is benefitting him substantially - he has $1300 in his pocket that belongs to me and will have even more on Aug 1. I don't know why he isn't just coasting on these circumtances, considering how much it is helping him. He's obsessed with not getting "credit" for what he paid in May, but, so what, he's still way ahead financially. Maybe he's too dumb to understand it.

Just some quick math: he makes almost $200K a year, even at a tax rate of 35%, his TAKEHOME pay is about $10K a month. If he gives me what the court ORDERED him to (and he agreed to), $2500, he still has over $7000 a month for his "bills!" (My takehome is about $3K - less than half what he has AFTER he pays me; even if you add what he gives me, he still has more than me and I'm supporting Alana.)






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home