Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 06, 2006

Election Day minus 1

I'm off to do some "canvassing" - going door-to-door, telling people to vote. I did it in 2004, and honestly, it felt like a waste of time - I don't think one additional person voted due to my efforts. But this is how the Repugs do it, and they're considered a great success for it (though frankly, I can't imagine how this works - everyone I talked to in 2004 had been pestered to distraction). But I have to do *something* - turnout will make or break a lot of races this year, including the Congressional race and the State Assembly race in my own district.

UPDATE 4 p.m.

Well, as with my previous experience, that seemed like a waste of time. There were more people home than I expected, but most are not too enthusiastic about the civic encouragement that I'm offering. In fact, most people act like I'm casing the joint, maybe planning to steal their lawn furniture. It's a bit discouraging. I had to keep reminding myself - This is how it's done! On the positive side, it's an absolutely gorgeous day, so it's nice to be walking around outside, and there's more lawn signs in that neighborhood than in mine, virtually all for Democratic candidates. In my neighborhood there are none, not even for candidates I oppose. My neighbor, Steve (who's a doll, despite being a staunch Republican), claims voter turnout around here is about 20%. That is so appalling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home