Powered by Blogger

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Latest movies

This Means War - Kinda tricky to combine the rom-com and action genres, and they almost pull it off here; this is a fun movie, with some genuinely humorous stuff, and winning turns by reliably appealing performers (Reese Witherspoon, Tom Hardy and Chris Pine), but it's a bit difficult to root for anyone because they're all behaving rather badly; I think it would have worked better if they had tipped their hand a little sooner - I was a little surprised by who Lauren picked, which I think was deliberate, but it wasn't totally satisfying to the audience (at least not to me and the friend I attended with). Not a classic, but a perfectly entertaining night out.

Journey 2: Mysterious Island - Great family entertainment, and it made me want to read Jules Verne books - what movie ever has that effect on the audience???

On video:

Quid Pro Quo - I picked this up at the library, having never heard of it, just because it sounded interesting.  It wasn't at all what I expected, but it was really excellent - original, thought provoking, and with a big, fascinating twist at the end.  Great performances by Nick Stahl, and especially Vera Farmiga, who never disappoints.

Every Day (2010) - If possible I'm even more in love with Ezra Miller now than I was before - he's wonderful in this movie; Liev Schrieber and Helen Hunt are both favorites of mine, and they were excellent, but both seemed rather understated here, especially Liev, so their performances are not as memorable. A decent movie overall, about every day life, but not mind blowing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home