Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 13, 2012

Whitney Houston



So sad that the singer has joined a growing group of celebrities to die, most likely accidentally, from prescription drug abuse (or just mistakes; I'm counting, for example, Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole Smith, and Michael Jackson).  Reports from friends and family suggest that she was doing quite well and was optimistic about the future.  A tragedy.  Sad also to see commentary, suggesting that she wasted her gifts and deserves no sympathy.  Jamie Lee Curtis wrote a wonderful essay addressing this, noting that addiction is terrible and so difficult to overcome.  I hardly think Whitney chose her path, in any real sense of that word.  Dying at such a young age - younger than me!! - is sad, regardless of the reason.  I've been humming her songs ever since I heard the news.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home