Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Best movies of 2011, pt 2 - Oscar bait

This week's issue of EW has a list of "25 movies to see before Oscar night," based on which are likely to be nominated.  I've only seen 9 of them, which has to be a serious low for me (not even half!), but more to the point, I didn't really love any of the 9 that I saw.  They were all good, but not movies I would buy on DVD (as a measure of my enthusiasm).  Not sure what that says about me, or the year in film, but it's not too inspiring.

Moneyball
Bridesmaids
The Help
The Descendants
Midnight in Paris
Young Adult
My Week with Marilyn
Hugo
Rango

The Ides of March
The Iron Lady
Albert Nobbs
J Edgar
Beginners
War Horse
Shame
Tree of Life
Drive
The Artist
Harry Potter 7
Kung Fu Panda 2
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory



I really had to think about what movie I would say was my favorite this year. I thought Breaking Dawn was terrific, but I'd be too embarrassed to call that my favorite for the year.  I liked The Help a lot, but I liked the book more.  Probably Crazy Stupid Love and The Adjustment Bureau are tied as the movies I most enjoyed and that stuck with me the most. Sarah's Key and No Strings Attached were the only other movies I gave 9 stars to on imbd.com (I didn't give any 10s this year). Not very substantial films, and not very arty - it's a little disconcerting that there's nothing like Traffic or Crash or The English Patient. I'm getting fluffy in my old age.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home