Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Is this movie a parody or not?"

This article from Cracked.com is really funny and clever. This excerpt from early in the article, states his basic premise ~

I can no longer tell if movies are being serious. I used to be able to watch trailers and say, "This is clearly a parody" or "This is just a bad movie." But, these days . . . some filmmakers are embracing this idea of movies being designed to be consumed ironically, while other filmmakers are just making shitty movies. And the frustrating thing is that there is no observable difference between the two. Once upon a time, I could finish watching a trailer and my only thought would either be "That was good" or "That was bad." Now, I watch most trailers and I just scratch my head, thinking, "Hey, filmmakers: Did you really mean that? . . . Is any of this a joke?"

This paragraph, from the middle, made me think about what I said about Vampires Suck - that it's hard to parody something that's already pretty campy ~

Those guys who do the [Genre] Movies don't exactly understand what parody is, so sometimes they'll just recreate a scene from an iconic comedy and just replace the original jokes with jokes of their own that, generally, are worse. That's not a parody; that's just redoing an already funny thing and changing the wording of the jokes. That's what this trailer felt like to me, and when your legitimate Hangover 2 trailer could pass for the trailer for Friedberg and Seltzer's Hangover Movie, you're in big trouble.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home