Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 10, 2006

Blinded by the Right

I've been reading this memoir by recovering neocon, David Brock. It's both fascinating and revolting to read about the evolution of the Republican party and the conservative movement during the late 70s, through the 80s and 90s - when the Cold War ended, they had to pick a new enemy and some new tactics, and we have all seen the results. As I read, I can only hope that the newly empowered Democrats don't resort to the same approach to getting and holding power.

ADDENDUM 12/2/2006

I realize once I finished the book that although the political information was fascinating, there was a different reason that I was supposed to read this book, a much more personal one . . . I've been feeling somewhat beleaguered out here in the suburbs, surrounded by people with less than no interest in politics, and especially by a new friend who has been somewhat dismissive of my political passions, and I feel like the take home message from the book is the conclusion that DB comes to after his own rejection of conservatism, both the philosophy and the movement, which was that you must be true to yourself and your beliefs, and although you may feel alone at times, like-minded people will ultimately be drawn to you. This really resonated for me and helped me to remember that it may take time to find "my" people, but I will, and then I won't feel so out of sync, and even wrong, anymore.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger oryoki said...

How about a title or a link?

Is the title "Blinded by the Right"?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home