Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Volunteering

 I'm trying to get involved with the community a bit more now that I'm settled in my house. I don't want to over volunteer like I did in NY, but try to selectively get involved. One of my College of Ed grad students, who is also a faculty member, has a foundation that is raising money for a new library building and invited me to join. Monthly meetings - manageable, though raising money is my least favorite volunteer gig.

I have rather high hopes for the potential of this group and I was tickled that I made it into the photo of the meeting first I attended:


There's some foundation money to support the group and the City is apparently helping. But the project is organized in a very top-down manner and I'm not sure it will survive once the foundation money is spent (around the end of the year) because there hasn't been enough effort made to find and empower community leaders. We'll see where it goes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home