Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Small talk

Went to 2 parties this weekend, which taxes my ability to make small talk to the absolute max.  The party on Friday was excruciating, until Larry drew me into a conversation about movies with a couple from Philadelphia.  It was fun until the woman in the couple started complaining about how blacks are ruining the city, and it would be so much better if we could just get rid of them, they're "animals."  I was struck dumb, to be sure, but I felt terrible that I couldn't think of a civilized response that would express my outrage at her comments.  I've encountered her brand of casual racism plenty of times in Philly, but I'm a bit out of practice.

The second party was better, because I made a beeline for one of the few people I knew, and sat with them at dinner, so we could talk easily, with no unpleasant surprises.

I hope that's it for the holiday party circuit until next year!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home