Powered by Blogger

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Latest movies

Been busy so haven't had a chance to watch much ~

My Sassy Girl (2008) - I got this video because I really like Jesse Bradford, and because I love offbeat romantic comedies, which this certainly qualifies as. I wanted to like this movie, and I did, but I didn't love it.  I think it gets better in the second half, especially after you find out more about Jordan's character (Elisha Cuthbert). Before you understand her, she's just a really annoying person, and I couldn't imagine what this kind and gentle young man could possibly see in her, and I got a bit sick of watching her abuse him.  Ultimately, I think the movie works, but just barely, and it's pretty far along the continuum of offbeat.  I liked Maze and Dedication better, though in those movies, the man is the annoying character and the women are sweet and just a bit screwed up . . .

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009) - I only watched this because the video was on the shelf at the library and I needed at rom-com to watch with my friend Dawn.  What a pleasant surprise.  It follows the Christmas Carol structure pretty closely, which is more of a plus than I expected.  The promos for this movie made it look really stupid and that's a shame, because it's actually quite good, and surprisingly sentimental and sweet.  Maybe I enjoyed it because my expectations were so low, but I don't think so.  Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner have great chemistry, and the movie fulfils the cardinal rom-com requirement - you really are rooting for the couple to end up together.  I also loved the relationship between MM and his younger brother, played by the always adorable Breckin Meyer.  I think it's much better than other MM movies that did better, like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, which is more contrived and less fun than this one, but made twice as much money ($105M vs $55M).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home