Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"A Strange Stirring"

Terry Gross is interviewing the author of this book, a retrospective on The Feminine Mystique (47 years later!)  I really enjoyed the conversation, and the book is immediately being added to my Amazon Wish List!

This really resonates with me, though I was born in the early 1960s, so I didn't read the book or have these experiences myself. I was exactly like Stephanie - I didn't want to be my (step)mother and I was encouraged to want more. I also felt the same way she did - I adored my dad, but he was a terrible husband (he needed a helpmate, but he was openly disrespectful of her intellect, etc).

I kept thinking of Mad Men during the discussion, as it perfectly portrays these issues, especially with the character Peggy, who is choosing a different (career-oriented) life, despite pressure from her own mother, and of course Betty, the suburban housewife, who is suffering from exactly what Betty Friedan described (maybe they chose the character's name as an homage!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home