Powered by Blogger

Sunday, January 23, 2011

"The decline and fall of Borders"

I stumbled upon this terrific book blog when I was looking for info on All Other Nights for the book club meeting this week.  Her recent entry on Borders perfectly captured how I feel about the store and the closings.  I remember the Borders in downtown Philadelphia (a city shockingly lacking in indies and used book stores) - I spent many happy hours there, heard many wonderful authors on tour (most memorably, Paul Rudnick, who wrote I'll Take It).  That store always made me think of how Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) describes his NY superstore in You've Got Mail (which I saw again on cable recently, and which now, a decade+ later, seems unbearably quaint about both the internet and bookstores): "I said we were great. I said you could sit and read for hours and no one will bother you. I said we have a hundred and fifty thousand titles. I showed them the New York section. I said we were a goddamn piazza - a place in the city where people can mingle and mix and be."

+ + + + + + +
Just another comment or two about the book blog - BostonBibliophile ~

She's Jewish, and rates lots of books with Jewish themes and characters, so that's a bonus for me.  She's also starting a companion movie blog, and often blogs about books being made into movies (I learned from her that a new Jane Eyre is due out this year with Mia Wasikowska, who I think is terrific).

I love her rating system:  BUY - BACKLIST - BEACH - BORROW - BURY

She gets a lot of free books as a reviewer, and she gives away books as well - so it's worth checking back at her site to get in on freebies.

She's a librarian, and gets a lot of her books at this site - Library Thing (note that it's a competitor of goodreads).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home