Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 12, 2010

Stood up again

I attended the annual meeting of the American Medical Writers this past week.  It's a great conference, packed with terrific presentations and classes.  I've been to Atlanta, Louisville, Dallas, and now Milwaukee.  Next year, the conference is in Jacksonville, FL, which should be nice. 

The very first year I was there, I met a really nice woman named Angela.  We had a lot in common and we talked so easily, it made the conference even better. We stayed in touch after the conference, and, the following year, we made plans to meet for dinner the first night.  But when I got there, she said she was busy with her own, local group, and I never really talked with her again, beyond saying "hi" when we saw each other in the hallways.  I was, of course, completely taken aback by this development, and still have no idea what happened to chill our promising friendship.

Then, the next year, I met another interesting woman named Christine, from my own regional group.  We stayed in touch after the conference, and even met for lunch in NYC in April.  We made plans to meet at the conference this year, but she never showed up for the regional dinner, as arranged, and never called, texted or emailed me. 

I can't believe I'm 2 for 2 at this conference.  I keep meeting ostensibly friendly, interesting women, who disappear into the ether the very next year.  Weird and discouraging.

Side note: I met two interesting women at this year's conference, though neither acted as overtly friendly as Angela or Christine, so I have no expectation that those acquaintanceships will flower into something lasting (we exchanged email addresses, but there was no deeper connection that I noticed).  I still have hope though!  And FB makes staying in touch, especially in a superficial way, so much easier.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home