Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Talmud study

Trying this class again.  I went to the first class last year, but then I got busy at work, and never got into the swing of attending it.  This year we're focusing on holidays, which I thought might be a bit less esoteric.  However, after a couple of sessions, I'm finding it very esoteric . . . we spent a whole session discussing the definitions and rules around the new year, and while it was historically interesting, it turns out that the rules were written down at least 100 years after the temple was destroyed and the described rituals were no longer observed.  So why are our lives incomplete if we don't learn this stuff?  I'd like to give it another session or two, but I'm not sure this is a meaningful use of my time and brain power right now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home