Powered by Blogger

Sunday, January 03, 2010

More movies

The Blind Side and Invictus, as I've mentioned.

Avatar - in 3D no less. Great film; really gorgeous alternative universe - watching the main character explore that was my favorite part. The basic message was terrific, of course, though hardly could be called subtle. I found it a little troubling to watch the natives triumph over far superior firepower - pretty unrealistic, but that's a quibble, really. Another quibble: not sure why Sigourney Weaver's character smoked so much - kind of odd in light of the overall themes of the movie.

Into the Wild - Pretty much what I expected - well made, but long and sometimes dull. Great supporting cast and a bravura performance by Emile Hirsch, but ultimately I felt the same way about the movie that I did about the book - what a waste of a fine and lively young man. I was especially put off by a line late in the movie (that I don't remember from the book), where Chris/Alex tells the old man who has tragically lost his wife and child, "It's not our relationships that matter in this life." As if he could speak authoritatively on that subject at the tender age of 22. Such wisdom! If he had lived into his golden years, what would he say then? (The movie implies that he already changed his mind, by the end of his time in Alaska, but that is a revision of his testament that is not apparent in the book.)

Watchmen - Larry fell asleep, of course, but I stayed until the bitter end. Visually arresting and great performances, but very long, and "gratuitous nudity and violence" is putting it mildly (I could have especially done without the hatchett to the skull). Plus the politics are pretty questionable - lots of monologues from Rorschach about the uselessness of compassion and the general heinousness of mankind. This year's Dark Knight - not really my cup of tea.

Crossing Over - a Crash-style movie, following multiple characters in intersecting story lines, all having to do with living in America without legal status. It was interesting, but not nearly as involving or as poignant as Crash. Definitely not a waste of time, but not a classic either. I also strongly object to the nudity because I thought it was gratuitous and distracting.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home