Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Jews and Christmas

A local acquaintance just announced her annual Christmas party. I wasn't invited, but that's fine, I wouldn't have gone anyway. I went last year and I thought it was awkward as hell - a room full of Jews celebrating Christmas. I grew up having a Christmas tree every year, and it didn't ultimately impact my Jewish identity. But it was my non- Jewish parent who instigated the festivities and my Jewish father just tolerated it. It is a bit odd that this woman, who is Jewish and is raising her kids Jewish, still insists on overtly celebrating Christmas. I suppose she can say that it's all for her husband and his family, but it's still her that's doing the decorating and such. And most of the guests, at least last year, were Jewish - it's not just a party for her non-Jewish friends and family. Whatever. Everyone makes their own choices, but I'm happy not to be involved. I'm so glad that my real friends don't do that, so I don't have to pretend that I'm fine with it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Apparently the woman I refer to in this post read this recently (Dec 30). Someone must have told her about it, because I know she doesn't read this blog and I don't know of anyone in our community who does. I'm sorry if I offended her, but I certainly never thought she would read this and it's not like I mentioned her by name. I'm not the only person who thinks this way about Jews who celebrate Christmas, and I've heard her admit herself that she's ambivalent about her obsession with Christmas. But since I've articulated this opinion in a publically accessible space, it puts me in the line of fire. How unusual. I'm totally okay with that obviously, or I wouldn't have written it down. I stand behind my opinions, as always.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home