Powered by Blogger

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Return trip was difficult

The return trip started out a bit rocky and got worse. I tried to reserve a spot on the airport shuttle using the company's website, but after entering tons of information, the site froze and I gave up in disgust. However, in the morning, I checked out of the hotel, walked out the front door, and got right onto a shuttle, so that was easier than I expected.

I checked in at the airport with little difficulty, but the shuttle had dropped me off at a different terminal than my actual flight, so my uncle Dan and I needed to do a little maneuvering in order to meet. We went to Kevin and Julie's house, which is about 20 minutes from the airport. Julie had made some lovely snacks, but of course none were GF. Brian was camping with their girls and Becky was busy and couldn't join us. Dan drove me past their house on the way back to the airport.

Once I got back to the airport and went through security, things started to run off the rails. My cell phone was handed to the person who went through before I did. I got involved in trying to get it back and left my laptop in the scanner. I started down the hall to the gate, but they had closed the hallway for a security issue. We were routed upstairs and when I got to the gate, they had moved the flight back up the hall from where I came. By then the hall had been reopened, but I was quite a ways from my new gate. I had been looking for some decent food to buy to take along - something which has never been difficult in any airport, but Dallas, ick. I finally bought some fried rice at a Chinese place, which of course turned out to be almost inedible. Anyway, once I got onto the plane, I realized I didn't have my computer. I pushed my way through the crowd to get back to the agent. There were two people there, one was very unhelpful and almost rude, saying I had to get off the flight and try to get onto the next one, but the other person finally said she would walk up to security. I waiting just a couple of minutes when she returned with a security worker and my computer. I literally cried a bit from the relief.

My flight took off promptly and all was well until we reached Chicago. We were a few minutes late anyway, but our gate was occupied by a "disabled" plane and we had to wait about half an hour on the runway. That was all the time I had between flights, so I missed my connection.

I spoke to a (surly) American Airlines agent inside the airport, who sent me to another gate to get onto a later American flight. The agent at that gate wasn't warm or sympathetic, but wasn't outright surly, so that was an improvement. He said the next flight was in 3 hours, but it was full - he would put me on the standby list.

I had a drink in one of the airport bars and wandered around looking in shops and trying to find something decent to eat. I ended up getting a 10 minute massage, which helped more than the drink! I tried to get jasmine tea at the fancy tea kiosk, but of course they were out!

Meanwhile, Larry looked up flights on his computer at home, confirming that there were several with other airlines. I went back to the gate where I was put on standby and spoke to the agent again. I asked what would happen if I didn't get on the next flight. He said there was one more flight, but it was also full. I wasn't rude or aggressive, but I did ask if there was any way I could get on a flight with another airline. He made a call (which I don't think he was required to do) and he sent me to another terminal to take a flight that had a guaranteed seat (on United). What a relief!!

Walking to the other terminal, I passed through a hallway with beautiful public art work. And the other terminal had much better food - I got a wonderful great salad garnished with nuts and fruit.

The flight left and arrived right on time. I got back to Syracuse a few hours later than planned, but Larry brought the kids to meet me, which made it all worthwhile.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Pacman said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home