Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Fear and loathing in Hollywood

As usual, Digby at Hullabaloo is right on:

It strikes me as a bit odd that the infotainment complex is hitting the fear button so hard right now. I was always told that during the depression Hollywood made a lot of fantasy and upbeat comedy because people wanted an escape. I'm not sure that isn't true now. I don't watch a whole lot of TV for relaxation, but when I do I certainly don't want to watch something that's going to make me feel more fear and anxiety than I already do.

But the humiliation rituals on reality TV and the violence in the movies right now are just mind-boggling --- I watched a Mamet flick the other night that just about made me sick. I don't know about you, but I feel as if our society is in a sour, sour place right now --- and justifiably so. It doesn't seem like pumping up the anxiety and fear can be good for people who are already stressed out beyond belief.

But hey, I'm old so maybe it's just Driving Miss Daisy time for me. Far be it for me to become one of those scolds telling the kids they shouldn't listen to that "yeah yeah" music. But it kind of creeps me out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home