Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Music videos

I don't watch a lot of music videos, but every once in awhile the kids want to see one, or I'll like a song so much that I'll watch the video just to hear the song. The former was the reason that I saw the video for Katy Perry's insanely catchy song, I Kissed a Girl, which concerns a rather innocent kiss shared between two girls at a bar. The video, however, takes place in a whorehouse filled with teddy-wearing women writhing around on couches and chairs. Luckily the kids recognized that this was for grown ups and we stopped watching. But WTF? The song could have been made into an adorable video if it had stuck to the lyrics - why sex it up so excessively? I can understand videos like that for overtly sexy songs like Lollipop, but not for songs that are not really about sex. Take Beyonce's famous video for Single Ladies, which shows her and two other women dancing very provocatively in leotards on a bare sound stage. Not as excessive as Perry's Girl, but rather inexplicable, considering the song lyrics. I also watched the video for Rihanna's song Umbrella, which has rather lovely lyrics (if you can figure out what she's singing). So why does she spend much of the video in a sort of sexy maid costume, dancing around with the umbrella like it was a stripper pole? Finally there's the video for Pink's wrenching Sober, a song I really like. The video is quite atmospheric and I was enjoying it until she made out with herself on the bed. Seriously. Double WTF! Kinda creepy. Who thought that up? It totally doesn't fit with the song lyrics or with anything else for that matter. My husband notes (fairly) that they're trying to sell records. But what bothers me is that most videos are not viewed by adults - my son is 8 and he regularly watches them online. Shame on the record industry and shame on the artists.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home