Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Edification

The current issue of Newsweek is just packed with terrific articles.

This fascinating profile of the #1 children's book creator of all time - Eric Carle, whose debut book, The Very Hungry Catepillar, is celebrating 40 years since it's original publication. He had a very difficult childhood in Germany in the 1940s after living his first 6 years in the U.S. (in Syracuse!) He has a museum for "picture book art" in Amherst, MA, just a few hours from here - I tell people about it all the time and I plan to go sometime soon.

This riveting account of Islamists in London is disturbing and thought-provoking. As is this account of drug cartel violence moving across the Mexican border into Arizona and beyond (Phoenix is now the kidnapping capital of America).

This brief essay on being a vegan really made me think.

And George Will, who I always say has never written a single word I've ever agreed with, has a very reasonable essay about education reform that I actually enjoyed reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home