Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 19, 2006

On being a "homemaker"

A friend asked me today if I'm "getting used to life as a homemaker" and I had to admit that it's quite the opposite - I'm slowly losing my mind. I can't believe women enjoy this. I feel totally overwhelmed and totally useless at the same time. I can't wait to get back to work - to earn my own money and do something that feels meaningful - because shopping, cooking, doing laundry and running endless errands definitely doesn't. I don't know how I got all this done and also worked all day, but I did! I felt overwhelmed then too, but I had a real reason - now I feel overwhelmed and I can't understand why.

This sensation is exacerbated by the very fact that I can't find a job, though I'm been searching since January. I can't believe I'm at this point in my career - a Ph.D. and over 15 years of work experience - and I can't find a job! It's totally demoralizing. Of course it's not really me - there just isn't much up here, an impression that's been confirmed by many long-time residents. I know I'll find something eventually, but in the meantime, it's very hard not to be depressed. Why didn't I go to med school or become a math teacher or something useful (and portable!) like that???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home