Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 21, 2006

Movie Lust

My friend Suzanne gave me her Fall Movie Preview issue of Premiere magazine and my friend Sue gave me her Fall Movie Preview issue of Entertainment Weekly, so I'm awash in movie lust - looking forward to all the movies that are due this fall that sound so good. But there's the rub - I make myself this same list every year, but then end up skipping half the movies, because once they come out, it's apparent that they're disappointing. But I can't help myself - I want to see these classy films with my favorite performers and I want to see the latest from my favorite directors. Here's a few of the films that I hope live up to expectations:

All the King's Men (with Sean Penn, what more do you need?)
Children of Men (the new Clive Owen, enough said)
Hollywoodland (the imdb comments are glowing)
I Could Never Be Your Woman (May-December romance, with the woman being older!)
Lucky You (sounds odd, but Curtis Hanson is generally very good)
The Last King of Scotland (about Idi Amin, could be great)
Running with Scissors (book adaptation)
Little Children (another book adaptation)
Babel (worth seeing [almost] no matter what)
The Prestige (looks good, but could disappoint, despite a great cast)
The Illusionist (getting good buzz and I love Edward Norton)
Killshot (looks dumb, but Get Shorty was so fun . . .)
Catch a Fire (South Africa drama with Tim Robbins, sounds great)
Infamous (another film about Capote, and getting great buzz)
Breaking and Entering (Anthony Minghella, which is all you need, but it also has Jude Law)
Marie Antoniette (Sofia Coppola's sophomore effort, could be a massive disappointment)
Flags of our Fathers (I like the disillusioned war hero angle, plus it has Ryan Phillippe)
The Fountain (sounds challenging, but worth seeing)
Fur (Nicole Kidman as photographer Diane Arbus - a must see)
For Your Consideration (a satire about an indie film getting Oscar consideration - I'm there!)
The Good German (Clooney's next one, with Tobey Maguire, in black and white, of course)
Fast Food Nation (based on the book, a must see)

This is only a partial list, there's so much more. But if even half of these were as good as they sound, it would be a great couple of movie-going months!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home