Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 03, 2022

Court appearance

I've been in an absolute fever about this court appearance for weeks, which I thought was gonna be over Teams because that's what it says in the letter they sent me. I've been watching my email for a week, expecting to get a link.

I called the court twice this week. The SECOND time, they told me it would be over the phone and they confirmed my phone number. 

When I spoke to the court representative this morning,  she said that Mr. Jacowitz did not "contact the court." That's because they emailed us TWENTY MINUTES before we were scheduled to appear ffs. I didn't see it until after I spoke to them (it says 8:10 on the message because that's Central time). 

She says he has "the right to be formally served." So now I have to wait 6 weeks for that process, which involves giving him the exact same letter he already got at the exact same address he already got it. But only after I send them the paperwork AGAIN, because she "doesn't know what the agreement says" (said in a tone like I'm trying to get away with something here). I sent the relevant pages when I originally filed, back in AUGUST, **and** the full decree was filed with the court when it was finalized last year, according to the attorney. (I have to wonder why they didn't ask me for the paperwork sometime during the past SIX MONTHS while I've been waiting for this appearance.)

This whole process is designed for assholes like him to skate through by being irresponsible, while someone like me, who's totally on top of everything, gets treated dismissively (she asked me if I wanted to continue the complaint - this after he didn't show up, so I guess she expects me to just give up when he blows it off). Meanwhile, the balance he owes me grows and grows. I guess, at this point, I don't even care because they will just garnish his paycheck past when Alana turns 21, at least that's what happened to Lisa's friend. I'll get all the money eventually, hopefully. The stress of this process is much higher than it's worth if that's true, especially because it just keeps him in my mind and keeps fueling my anger and frustration, while he blissfully lives his new life. I filed originally because I'm just so livid at him getting away with this. It's not like they are actually going to put him in jail for nonpayment. If he even faces a fine, I'd be very surprised.

If I had known that the garnishment would continue, I never would have given in so much in the original negotiation (such that it was, a few text messages). Like the complete fool I am, I thought, during the negotiation, if the amount was lower, he would actually pay it.

UPDATE


He surprised me by actually replying after I sent an angry text about missing the court appearance. Maybe he's lying or maybe the court fucked up (which is completely possible). Whatever. I'm regretting getting this started. It's just making me furious and it's such a waste of my energy. The outcome is not likely to be much better than what is happening now, which is, at least I get a weekly payment. 

I never fucking know when to leave well enough alone and when to fight. It's my greatest weakness. I should have fought more when we were separated and just left it alone once we were divorced.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home