Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 05, 2021

Trust Exercise by Susan Choi


Not my favorite book ever, but had some great passages and some interesting observations about relationships. As with so many buzzy books (this won awards!), my espectations were too high, I thought it was just meh. I got kind of bored with the first section, in Sarah's voice, as she got more and more whiny as the story continued. Then a complete change of perspective, and then a third section, which again changes the reader's understanding of what is going on.

I liked the shifting points of view and I liked the author violating our "trust" of her by messing with our feelings for the characters. I was a bit disappointed that the book was ultimately about sexual abuse and Men Behaving Badly - I feel like that story has been told so many times already (does every teen novel have to be about that?) I thought a more interesting focus would have been HS relationships and memory and things like that.

Just to remember some of the interpretive pieces I read after the book:

https://www.vox.com/culture/21579367/trust-exercise-ending-explained-susan-choi

http://windingshelf.com/trust-exercise/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home