Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Being the Chosen People

Had a conversation about the Jews being the Chosen People in our class today.  I have two main problems with this - one is that it has caused problems for Jews for hundreds of years, and the other is that I find the concept counter to my most cherished values of humanism and tolerance.

The rabbi suggested that by choosing Judaism, you are, by definition, rejecting everything else.  But  I don't really relate to Judaism as something that I've chosen, it's just something I am, like being female and being white.

He also said that he feels like his choice of Judaism is based on finding "some truth in it," which I thought about quite a bit. I'm not looking for truth. Not in religion, not in life.  I genuinely don't believe there is any truth in religion, or rather, there are many truths, not just one single truth that can be determined or found. Instead of truth, I'm looking for MEANING, which is not the same thing at all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home