Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Movie weekend

I guess I did a lot of cooking and washing up this weekend, because I managed to watch several movies on video and I liked them all.  I got to the theater the last couple of weekends as well - I'll start with those~

Bridesmaids - My expectations were probably a little high - it was definitely funny and I laughed quite a bit, but I think coherence was sacrificed for comedy - it was a little uneven and a little contrived. I thought it needed more Maya Rudolph, and more focus on the relationship between her and Kristen Wiig.  An entertaining movie, but could have been better.  Side note - Chris O'Dowd is someone to watch - he was utterly adorable as Officer Rhodes.

Midnight in Paris - I saw Woody Allen's latest last weekend and I enjoyed it very much.  I had no idea what it was about, I had just heard good buzz.  It's light as a feather and lots of fun, definitely glad that I saw it - all those great actors, like Adrien Brody, playing all those famous people, like Salvador Dali.  My only quibble was the male lead ending up, yet again, with a gorgeous young woman half his age.  =(

Thor - I saw this movie 2 weeks ago, only because Bridesmaids was sold out.  It was more entertaining than I expected, with a terrific cast and content that rose above it's comic book source, perhaps partly due to Kenneth Branaugh at the helm.  (Cal had told me I would like it because "it has a plot!")

+ + + + + + + +
Made in Dagenham (2010) - This is not quite the giggle fest that the promos lead me to think it would be. It's more along the lines of A League of Their Own - a light touch in some places, but some poignant scenes as well. I would say the movie is almost as good as Iron-Jawed Angels, in terms of giving a sense of what we owe the women that came before us and paved the way with their determination and their commitment to principles. A real tour de force for Sally Hawkins, but there's not an off performance in the entire movie. Rosamund Pike is luminous as always, and Miranda Richard, though not in many scenes, reminds us yet again of just what a jewel she is.  The men were good too - Richard Schiff as the American representative of Ford, cutie pie Rupert Graves as the put upon plant manager, and the always wonderful Bob Hoskins, who disappeared way too early in the movie.

The Yellow Hankerchief (2008) - I admit I saw this mostly for Kristen Stewart, but William Hurt is wonderful as a man facing his biggest regrets.  Maria Bello is also terrific in a smaller but important role.  The relationship of the younger couple, KS and Eddie Redmayne, is not as well developed, and is really the only flaw in a lovely (if quiet) movie.

Keith (2008) - not quite what I was expecting, but a very affecting movie about living life in the present.  Terrific performances and a very pretty, if sad, story.  I'm really glad I didn't see the preview for this movie (which I watched after seeing it) - it totally gives away the mystery, and I was glad to learn that from watching the film.

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistance (2009) - based on a graphic novel; it's not my usual genre, but I found it inventive and entertaining with lots of terrific performances, and of course I loved the message about "freaks" being people too.  They set it up for a sequel, but I don't know if there will be one.

Gulliver's Travels (1996) - A TV miniseries with Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen (their first film together after their marriage).  I wasn't that familiar with Jonathan Swift's story, other than the most famous first journey to Lilliput.  This movie covers all 4 journeys, and I was impressed with the clear-eyed social commentary.  Of course, it went over the kids' heads, but they still enjoyed the movie for the oddities that Gulliver encounters.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home