Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 10, 2010

Good news - bad news

I was delighted to hear that Amber Heard came out this week at the GLAAD 25th anniversary celebration, proudly announcing that she is a lesbian, saying, among other things, "I can’t be a part of the problem. I hate the idea of a label just as much as anyone else, but I’m with who I’m with, I love who I love."

Described as an "emerging Hollywood talent," she has appeared in "Zombieland" and "Pineapple Express,"  and will appear as Johnny Depp's "love interest" in "The Rum Diary," due out next year.

It was that last bit that gave me pause.  Johnny Depp is just a couple months younger than me, and Amber Heard is 24, so he's old enough to be her father.  Now, I suppose there are quite a few 24 year olds who would be thrilled to be the "love interest," or anything else, to Johnny Depp (along with a lot of other women of any age), but in terms of casting, I think it's a bit icky.  It also denies an actress of a more appropriate age (say, within a decade of his age!) from getting the part.  Just annoying, and it spoils my enjoyment of her news a bit.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home