Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Fall movie update

This is the list I made in August, with notes about where I'm at in December:

Blue Valentine - not out yet; not sure I can handle it.
Hereafter - saw it; boring.
True Grit - still planning to see it.
Welcome to the Rileys - missed it in theaters, waiting for the video.
Never Let Me Go - heard this was quite underwhelming; waiting for video.
Jack Goes Boating  - not out yet.
The Debt - not out yet.

Lighter fare:

Morning Glory - heard it pretty much sucked; waiting for video.
How Do You Know - still planning to see it.
Love and Other Drugs - heard good stuff, planning to see it next weekend.

Movies for the kids:

Alpha and Omega - saw it; underwhelming.
Tangled - saw it; loved it!
Gulliver's Travels - still planning to see it.

ADDENDUM

These are some of the movies that I've heard about in the last couple of months that I'm hoping to see:

Black Swan - depressing and probably inaccessible (directed by Darren Aronofsky) but features terrific actresses in a movie about the experiences of women, such a rarity!!!  With Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Winona Ryder, Barbara Hershey.

Night Catches Us - fictionalized story about the Black Panthers in Philadelphia in 1976; great cast, including Kerry Washington; looks powerful

I Love You, Philip Morris - this movie was supposed to come out last year and never arrived, but this time, I think it's really coming.  A Must See, with Jim Carrey and Ewan MacGregor; based on the true story of a con artist who repeatedly escapes prison to be with his lover.

The King's Speech - with Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter; getting great buzz

The Fighter - with Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo; looks powerful and I love all the actors

Rabbit Hole - Nicole Kidman, who I really like, is getting raves for her performance as a mother devastated by the loss of her 4 year old son.  Aaron Eckhart plays her husband.  Not sure I can stomach this, though - all the reviewers say it's a totally unflinching portrayal of grief.

The Company Men - about job loss and the impact on 3 men, with Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, and Chris Cooper (who I would watch in anything); getting good buzz and looks powerful

TRON: Legacy - loved the original, have to see what they do with the new one

The Tempest - with Helen Mirren in the king's role and Felicity Jones as Miranda, plus David Straithairn, Alan Cummings, Chris Cooper (see above) and Djimon Hounsou, directed by Julie Taymor; probably inaccessible, but you have to love the gender bending casting; Helen Mirren is making the publicity rounds right now, speaking bluntly about women in Hollywood (someone asked her if she only takes roles now that were originally written for men and she said "I certainly hope so" - I just love that!)

Kids want to see the new Narnia movie, Voyage of the Dawn Treader; I saw the first one, but not the second (Prince Caspian); overall I can take it or leave it, but I don't object to sitting through it.  Alana is back-tracking on her desire to see it, so Cal may go with his friend Jake and I may skip it; we'll see what happens.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home