Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 07, 2010

Weekend entertainment

Catching Fire - I was a little frustrated with the first book in this triology, The Hunger Games. It was a great read, but there just wasn't as much to it as I had expected. But I had already put a library hold on this book, so when it came in, I read it. I'm so glad I did. It was awesome, I absolutely inhaled it. It was everything I had hoped the first book would be and more. I loved it. I can't believe I have to wait 2 whole months before the third book comes out. I plan to be first in line at the bookstore! In the meantime, I'll definitely be checking out some of her other books.

Fantastic Mr Fox - I watched this on video with the kids. The animation was gorgeous, but what a weird little movie. The story is British, and they have an odd sense of humor, so I shouldn't be surprised (well, that's not really fair, they just have a different sense of humor from Americans). It's basically a caper movie, but that doesn't even get going until halfway through. It starts with Mr Fox relinquishing his life of crime (stealing chickens) because he and his mate are having a baby. Fast forward about 10 years, and he's bored and restless. So then there's some domestic drama, which has to be either boring for kids, or over their heads. Then eventually we get to the caper. But it was strange. Not bad, but not great. I read my book through some of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home