Powered by Blogger

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Eclipse preview

I saw a movie in a theater tonight for the first time in quite awhile (Letters to Juliet, more on that later), and I was completely blown away by the audience reaction to the Eclipse trailer that they showed. I've been to hundreds of movies in theaters and I've probably seen thousands of previews, and I don't ever recall a reaction like this - as soon as "Summit" came up on the screen, there was a noticeable ripple of excitement in the theater. And even though it was the more action-oriented trailer, not the more romantic one (I've watched both online), there were applause afterwards. I can't ever remember an audience applauding a trailer in my entire life. Why have I not noticed this phenomenon before? I don't even remember seeing previews for Twilight and New Moon. Is there more excitement now or have I just been oblivious for 2 years?

As for Letters to Juliet, it was adorable. It was also formulaic, predictable and cliqued. The couple is super cute and you are totally rooting for them, and that's the sine qua non. But as with so many movies in this genre, you don't quite get why they fell in love. But the denoument was cuter than most, and the setting in Italy was so gorgeous - quite a bonus. And even though the set up was incredibly contrived, they made it work. And there was a great kiss (this is so important for a satisfying rom-com experience, but it so often is not quite there). It was worth $10 and 2 hours of my time, especially since I didn't have to pay a babysitter. And I might even watch it again when it comes out on video.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home