Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Top Ten Movie List for 2005

I've read a lot of Top 10 lists, now that the year is winding down, and I can't say I agree with much that I see on them. While there are some films I missed this year (and some, as usual, that aren't available to me yet), I got to quite a few of the ones I thought were worth seeing. Some say it wasn't a very strong year for film, but I found plenty to entertain and engage me. If I had to characterize the year, I'd say it was marked by some great performances in less-than-great films (more on that later). My favorite genre is drama, and I thought that category was sadly lacking this year (with a couple of standouts). In general, I tended to favor the movies with a political message, as I found them the most interesting and thought-provoking, and thankfully, this year, many films fit that description. There were also a fair number of charming, off-beat smaller films that were worth seeing. And let's not forget documentaries -- it was just an amazing year for them, so much variety and so many spirited films.

Crash. My favorite movie of the year: the most involving, with many intriguing performances and dramatic moments.

Proof. A close second and yet another oddly under-the-radar movie, despite being Jake Gyllenhaal's "other" movie this year. I hadn't seen the play, so I was guessing until the end of this delicate study of trust and love.

Murderball. A rollicking documentary about quadriplegic rugby. Triumph of the human spirit and then some.

Brokeback Mountain. Not a perfect film, but a brave, beautiful and haunting one, with some of the finest performances of the year.

The Interpreter. Strangely under-rated, with wrenching performances by Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn, and many fine secondary characters. The subplot involves interesting and mysterious political developments in the UN and an African country, but the main story is a moving exploration of grief.

Syrianna. Deliberately difficult to understand, but still more engaging than almost anything else this year.

Munich. Not a perfect film, and rather grim, but with amazing performances (especially Eric Bana, who carries the film) and plenty to think and talk about afterward.

Good Night, and Good Luck. Beautifully made with wonderful performances, this timely study of our obligation to confront overbearing government resonated loudly this year.

In Her Shoes. Not a perfect movie, but perfectly cast. I enjoyed this movie a lot and am unclear why it didn't get its due.

The Upside of Anger. As I mentioned in a previous post, I loved this movie, with the absolutely luminous Joan Allen and a great supporting cast. Another puzzlingly under-rated movie.

Honorable mentions (make sure you see these if you missed them):

The Woodsman. Almost made the Top 10, Kevin Bacon gives a tour de force performance that is utterly heart-breaking in this portrait of a pedophile trying to resume life after a stint in prison. Kyra Sedgewick demonstrates that she's a lot more than a pretty face as well.

Pride and Prejudice. Another not-quite-perfect movie, but the principles gave Jane Austen's fine dialogue much passion and meaning. A very worthy effort.

Rent. Lively music and great performances in this faithful adaptation of the hit Broadway show.

March of the Penguins. Gorgeous and engrossing documentary about penguins in Antarctica.

Junebug. Really fun but odd story about an East Coast art dealer who meets her husband's Southern family while trying to acquire the art of a reclusive local who lives nearby. There's award buzz for the hilarious Amy Adams, who plays the verbose sister-in-law.

You and Me and Everyone We Know. Strange but fun love story about a woman who becomes obsessed with a shoe salesman.

The Squid and the Whale. Terrific performances in this fascinating study of a divorce; the impact is diminished by the abrupt ending.

Millions. A really charming movie about two young brothers who respond very differently to the loss of their mother and the discovery of a bag of money.

Happy Endings. Not as fun as Don Roos' 1998 film, The Opposite of Sex, but still full of great characters and witty dialogue.

Transamerica. Funnier than I expected and fun to watch, with a star turn by Felicity Huffman.

Cinderella Man. Not really my cup of tea, but a very well-made film and it certainly deserved more attention than the viewing public gave it.

Great performances in less-than-great films:
Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash in Walk the Line
Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardener
Viggo Mortensen in A History of Violence
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers in Match Point
Terrance Howard in Hustle and Flow
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote
Claire Danes in Shopgirl

Biggest disappointments:
The Family Stone. A really great cast and a fine premise, but too contrived and way too many wasted opportunities.
Be Cool. A lifeless follow-up to the standout 1995 film, Get Shorty.
Melinda and Melinda. Not Woody Allen's finest; an interesting premise but ultimately seemed a waste of a great cast.
Broken Flowers. I wanted to like this movie, but it was a complete bore -- literally everything that happens in the entire movie was shown in the 3 minute theater trailer.
Kingdom of Heaven. A great cast and a fine story, but too long and strangely uninvolving.
Gunner Palace. I heard great stuff about this Iraq war documentary, but I found it aimless and less powerful than I expected.
The Aristocrats. Much nastier than I expected, with little actual humor; only worthwhile as an inside look at the world of comedians.

Movies I missed (I'll get back to you on these):
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Where the Truth Lies.
The New World.
Paradise Now.
Nine Lives.
Jarhead.
Brothers.

Stay.
Yes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home