Powered by Blogger

Monday, December 19, 2005

Movie thoughts -- Brokeback Mountain

I finally saw this film, after literally months of anticipation (I first heard about it back in April). I have to say, it wasn't quite what I expected. It was sad, but not in a sweeping, epic way. More like a senseless, wasted life kind of way. It was very good and kudos all around -- great performances, gorgeous cinematography. But very, very sad. It wasn't a leave-the-theater-sobbing sad, at least not for me. It was more leaving shaking my head -- to watch someone live their whole life knowing that the price of true love is death, and finding that inevitably, inexorably, they were right. Life just shouldn't be like that.

If I have a complaint, it is only that I wished the movie had spent a little more time with the characters while they were falling in love (and happy) and a little less when they were apart (and unhappy). Another note: all the buzz and nominations are for Heath Ledger's performance (due to low expectations?), and while he's very good, Jake Gyllenhaal is really amazing as well, and deserves just as much recognition.

My husband saw the movie with me and he certainly didn't get out of it what I did. I almost wish I'd gone with a girlfriend, so I wouldn't actually know how completely he missed the point, how unaware he was of the hopelessness and loneliness of the main character. Which only goes to prove that you can take (drag) a guy (and I use that word purposely) to a tragic gay love story, but that doesn't mean he will be genuinely moved by it. Oh well. It will stick with me for quite awhile. Very brave to bring to the screen and quite haunting.

ADDENDUM (December 23, 2005)

After seeing the movie, I promptly went out and bought the movie tie-in book, with the screenplay and original story included. I enjoyed the story very much, but after reading it, I conclude that the movie desexed the story unforgivably. While the story is short and the movie actually expands on it (especially with regards to Jack's wife and Ennis' girlfriend and oldest daughter), the movie also subtley reduces the sexual content, especially by eliminating a couple of key lines of dialogue. It's still a wonderful film, but I feel irritated by this realization. I hope whomever was being pandered to was happy with the end result.

SECOND ADDENDUM (February 1, 2006)

As the movie has moved into wider release, I realize how wrong I was in my previous comments -- I now totally understand why the movie focused on Ennis's lonliness as opposed to the passion between the men. This movie would never be striking the chord that it's striking and would never be enjoying the widespread acceptance that it's enjoying, without these subtle adjustments. Though I would still like to see the movie with the story's passion intact (a Director's Cut???), I'm just so, so glad that the film, as it was made, is reaching such a broad audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home