Powered by Blogger

Monday, December 12, 2005

A lack of compassion

It's disturbing to me to hear the reactions to recent events, specifically the death of Stanley (Tookie) Williams and the shooting of Rigoberto Alpizar by air marshalls in Miami. I have read several letters to editors of newspapers stating, in essence, that both these gentlemen got what they deserved. I agree that the air marshalls were doing their job and that they made a judgement call that is certainly justifyable (if not especially admirable). And the Owens and Lin/Yang families are perhaps glad to see Mr. Williams go (though the evidence in one case was circumstantial and the other case was based on a confession that was subsequently recanted and claimed to have been obtained under duress). What is troubling to me is the lack of compassion displayed by these letter-writers. I find Mr. Alpizar's and Mr. Williams' deaths very sad. The former because he was not only an innocent man, but one who was ill. And the latter because he had made a contribution to society. He was trying to do something good during the last two decades, even if it was not sufficient or he did not go about it the "right" way (whatever that is). It makes me wonder what exactly is the purpose of the death penalty -- is it only vengence? Only to make the victims' families happy? Do we as a society really believe that a person can't change? Don't we believe that a person can do bad things, but later become someone different, someone better? Isn't that what clemency is for? And even if we think the person must pay the "ultimate price" for their crimes, must we crow and gloat and even sneer? Aren't we sad? I know I'm sad. I'm sad that he did bad things, and I'm sad that the way he lived his life for the last 25 years aren't enough to atone for the bad things that he did. But especially I'm sad that not everyone sees the waste and tragedy of all of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home