Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 07, 2005

What is the relationship between art and intellect?

Interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.
-Susan Sontag, author and critic (1933-2004)

When I sent this quote to my very intellectual and very artistic brother, Leo, he asked me what I thought of it in relation to my writing on film.

This was my reply:

I think she's being ironic -- I think most people believe that intellectualizing art ruins it -- that you have to appreciate it on a different level, not an intellectual level. Maybe I'm wrong -- maybe she's being literal and thinks intellect needs to be avenged, since art so often makes intellect seem foolish. I kind of doubt it, though.

I agree (with what I think she means) -- trying to write intellectually about an art form misses the point to a great degree. I think my enjoyment of films is often very visceral, i.e., it moves me or elicits a feeling. And of course I often find the visual form enjoyable for it's sheer beauty or power. Just from trying to write these sentences, I find myself struggling to express intellectually things that are fundamentally the opposite, or at least very different, from intellect.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Very well said! As you well know, I also enjoy reading a well-written review of a movie almost as much as watching a good movie. Definitely part of the whole experience.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home