Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Location location location

People keep asking me about my intentions for staying in GF, especially after I bought a house. I wrote a reply to someone over email and decided to post it here, since it captures all my thoughts about it.

I don't really like Grand Forks and I don't love my job (I like it, but I don't love it). I had thought to move west to be closer to Leo and Lisa, but the cost of living is so high, and the water and fire problems are quite concerning. Now I am considering trying to return to Philadelphia, as that was my favorite place I ever lived and still somewhat affordable. I still have friends there as well. It is centrally located to my kids (if they stay in upstate NY) and my stepson, who lives in Baltimore. Plus, there is a good, major airport there, so I can visit out west (and other places) easily. Other options are another medium-sized city like Pittsburgh or Baltimore, or even something more midwest. like Indianapolis. I think the mid-sized eastern and mid-Atlantic cities will remain relatively affordable and maybe less impacted by climate change. I just don't like living in such a small, remote town as I am now - there is not enough to do culturally, the Jewish community is almost non-existent, and there's just not enough of the kinds of people l like, who are educated and open-minded. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home