Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

"The Kindergarten Teacher"

I just watched the movie this weekend. I found the ending and the implications of the film very thought-provoking and interesting, and the poignancy of that final line: "I have a poem" is intense. As well as the poignancy of Jimmy not having realized quite what he was giving up by reporting the teacher to the authorities - he's only 5 years old after all. And of course Maggie Gyllenhaal is amazing as always. HOWEVER, as a mom, I was super uncomfortable with Lisa's choices, both in the way that she tried to steer Jimmy to create poems for her class assignments, and then, later, kidnapping him in order to save him from a life of banality. I get her motivation was to support Jimmy (hence, she sacrifices the instructor's good opinion of her, as well as her job and family), but her actions were really unsettling (as intended, I am sure). Doing the right thing in the wrong way is possible, even common, and you can make a strong case that this movie examines that exact issue.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home