Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 15, 2011

Cholesterol update

My doctor had wanted to put me on Zocor because my cholesterol has been slipping toward a worse number (it's been borderline for many years), but recommended that I take the fasting cholesterol test first, as it provides more accurate numbers - see entry on 11/16/10.

I got my results this week, and I was pretty stoked - I'm still borderline, but my trigylceride number is much better, and all 3 are basically close to the acceptable range (total is 172):

My LDL is ok (105, <100 is best); my HDL is still low (38, and it should be >50); my trigylceride number is great - 146 (best is <150; mine is down from 248).  I've got to get that HDL up, but it doesn't look like Zocor is in my immediate future (for now).

Side note: while bragging about my improved numbers to Larry, he showed me the test he had a few months ago - his trigylceride number was 566!  That's very bad, putting him at increased risk of both heart and liver disease; this elevated number is due at least partly to smoking, but he could make some better food choices and get that down (e.g., less processed meats, fewer sweets, more fiber)


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home