Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Latest movies

The Adjustment Bureau - I liked this movie a lot, more than the friends I went with.  It was both interesting and romantic; a nice change from the typical mindless fare (I'm talking here of mindless romantic comedy fare, as well as mindless action fare).

The Brave One - with Jodi Foster and Terrance Howard, who are always watchable; much better than I expected; I didn't like the "moral" of the story (that revenge is cathartic) but as a character study of a damaged woman, it was actually quite riveting (I stayed up way too late watching it!)

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps - not a bad movie but not great; they tried to say something substantial about the financial skullduggery on Wall St, but the message was seriously undermined by the ending.  I was also really frustrated by the short shrift they gave to the daugher-father relationship, which had a lot of dramatic potential.

Grown-Ups - a few funny moments, but a really stupid movie with a lot of incredibly offensive jokes; how did they get those great actresses to take those thankless roles???

Summer Catch (2001) - a standard rom-com with Freddie Prinze Jr and Jessica Biel; the movie manages to cram in every sports cliche in the book, which makes the movie feel stale, despite the lively and appealing leads, and strong supporting performances from Fred Ward, Jason Gedrick and Brian Dennehy; not a total waste of time, but ultimately utterly forgettable.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Marie Cloutier said...

My husband really wants to see THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU; I'm not sure I want to but I'm encouraged by your positive review!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Hi Marie! I read a few comments by users on imdb.com, which I pretty much compulsively do after I've seen a movie, and sometimes beforehand, and I got the distinct impression that people (namely, men) who associate Phillip K Dick with Blade Runner were disappointed in this movie because it's not at all like that one. The Rolling Stone movie reviewer, who I love, but who's definitely a "guy," singled out The Adj Bureau in the most recent issue, to note what a huge disappointment it was (see above for what I assume are his reasons). The movie is not like Blade Runner, in that it's not nearly as dark and doesn't have nearly as much action (just a couple of chase scenes, on *foot*!) But it says some very interesting things about faith and fate, and it's quite romantic (wow, that doesn't sound much like a "guy" movie, does it?!) But I thought it was refreshing and very entertaining. If you see it, please let me know what you thought!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home