Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

More books to read

I finished my first Kindle book and wanted to get another one, just to have something to read on my phone when I have time (waiting in lines, etc).

I looked at my goodreads list and my Amazon wish list, and chose Lady MacBeth by Susan Fraser. In looking at that book, I noticed that there's a whole genre of YA novels based on Shakespeare characters:

Ophelia & Lady MacBeth's Daughter by Lisa Klein
Enter Three Witches by Caroline Cooney (more MacBeth)
Saving Juliet by Suzanne Selfors
Romeo's Ex: Rosaline's Story by Lisa Fielder

They are getting mostly high ratings on goodreads. My library seems to have some of these (some but not all are available for Kindle), so I thought I'd check one out and see if they're as readable as the goodreads community seems to think.

I noticed another group of books - "retold" fairy tales like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, and Cinderella, which look really fun, so I can check out a few of those as well.

And it turns out that The Iron King is only the best known of the "urban faery" genre! There's lots more, like Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. I have to read more of those because I liked The Iron King and Winter's Passage a lot, as well as Impossible (maybe not strictly in the genre, but the same general area).

The appeal of these is mostly 2-fold: they're page turners and they feature strong, smart female lead characters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home