Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Calm down

I've been a bit shocked at the aggressive reactions to the passage of the healthcare bill. Doesn't seem at all appropriate or justifiable. Someone on FB said that "the People" are angry because their voices are not being heard. To which I replied:

I'm part of "the people" and this is exactly what I voted for. In a democracy, nothing is going to make 100% of "the people" happy. I've been angry about a lot of things in the past 3 decades, but I never broke anyone's window or spit on anyone or left a profanity-laced death threat on anyone's voicemail. If you want your government to be different, then go and vote. That's how we express ourselves in a civilized society.

Funny what Obama said the day after the bill signing:

“I’m not exaggerating. Leaders of the Republican Party called the passage of this bill Armageddon. Armageddon! End of freedom as we know it,” he told a rally in Iowa City. “So after I signed the bill, I looked around to see if there were any asteroids falling, some cracks opening up in the earth? Turned out it was a nice day. Birds were chirping. Folks were strolling down the Mall.”

Pretty ridiculous the level of hysteria about this relatively minor legislation. Loved his response. I wish I could show such aplomb instead of getting enraged all the time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home