Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Movie weekend

Saw two movies this weekend (in the theater as God intended!) Both were a bit disappointing actually.

I watched The Time Traveler's Wife with friends on Saturday night, which was affecting, but not very romantic and not very much about the wife for that matter (I didn't read the book, but the title implies that you will get her perspective and you mostly get his). I found the movie quite dark - much sadder than I had expected. Much more about mortality than about love. It reminded me of BBM - you spend very little time watching this couple fall in love, instead you spend most of the movie watching them struggle and be miserable. But Eric Bana was terrific and it's worth seeing for his nuanced performance. Rachel McAdams, however, was miscast I think - they needed someone with more gravitas to really pull off the role. But the movie was not a waste of time.

District 9, on the other hand, which I saw on Sunday night with Matt and Larry, was not my cup of tea at all - way too many exploding heads and way too little dialogue and exposition. I expected something much more substantial than this - more commentary on the social situation and fewer battles and bloodshed. Not a bad movie, but not what I what I like to watch. A good lesson in doing my research before I waste a precious evening out on a movie that really had nothing to say to me.

At least I got to come home and watch Don Draper self destruct in 52 inches of tortured glory.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home