Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sexism and the presidential race

I got the following message from my friend Mary today. Below it is my response.

Ever since I saw Hillary give her speech on Saturday, I've been wondering if I made the wrong choice and whether sexism did play a larger part in her loss than I had previously acknowledged. I had tears in my eyes as I realized my first (but I hope not last) chance to vote for a woman for president had dissolved.

Wow, I just don't look at it that way. I'm 45 - I've got a few presidential elections yet. I truly believe that someone will emerge as a viable female candidate, someone we probably don't even know about yet. Look at Obama - who would have thought that the first viable A-A candidate would be someone like him, instead of one of the many black politicians who have been around for years? I ended up being pretty pissed at Hillary - I thought she did some dirty stuff. Of course there's sexism and of course she was held to a different standard. But we knew that already.

ADDENDUM

Here's an interesting prediction that I stumbled on while looking for something else:


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home