Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Stronger

For some reason, I've gotten Kanye West's song, Stronger, stuck in my head lately, even though it was released last summer. The first line is a slight paraphrase of Friedrich Nietzsche's most famous statement ("what doesn't kill me makes me stronger"). So I've listened to the song over and over, and since I couldn't really understand all the lyrics, I looked them up. Turns out that this song, which starts with a profound philosophical statement, is mostly about having sex, with a few lines about Kanye's appearance at a fashion show:

Awesome, the Christian in Christian Dior
Damn they don't make 'em like this anymore
I ask, cause I'm not sure:
Do anybody make real shit anymore?
Bow in the presence of greatness
Cause right now Thou has forsaken us
That I would even show up to this fake shit
So go ahead go nuts, go ape shit
Specially in my pastel and my Bape shit
[refers to Bathing Ape - a Japanese clothing line]
Act like you can't tell who made this
New gospel, homey, take six
And take this, haters

Kanye is an important pop culture voice, so it's a shame that he decided not to make this (incredibly catchy) song about something larger. Of course it's hard to find a rhyme for "Nietzsche."

To listen to the uncensored version (which doesn't blank out the curse words):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTay1Jjfcv0

I love the photo above, of him in his "shutter shades" in the video.

<= This is another cool image from the video.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home