Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 18, 2008

Still struggling with Obama v Clinton

My friend Mary asked me if I switched from Hillary to Barack. I guess I sort of did. I voted for BO on Super Tuesday, partly b/c HC was going to win NY anyway. But I go back and forth, panicking about which is more likely to lose to McCain - BO is inexperienced and HC is despised by the Repugs.

On the one hand, I think Obama's energy and cross-party appeal are the perfect counter to McCain, who is old and boring. But on the other hand, Obama may end up seeming not-ready-to-lead, ESPECIALLY if there's any kind of terrorist incident between now and Nov.

Hillary is terrific, I have so much respect for her, but it feels like more of the same and as Super Tues approached I just kept thinking that it's time for something new - really new, not just the same advisors, the same perspective and the same priorities that HC will have if she goes to the White House. Maybe that's too Pollyanna or something, but that's what I found myself thinking. I've always liked the idealistic candidate and this is the first time I can remember one being taken so seriously and getting a real steam up - they usually crash and burn long before this.

I just can't help worrying about the actual election, regardless of the Democratic candidate. God help us if McCain wins. It literally puts me in a cold sweat.

ADDENDUM

Larry's cousin, Alan, who we're visiting in LA, says he's already completely sick of how condescending BO supporters are - acting like you're an idiot if you're not totally on board. He said the Dems are afraid of leadership. Interesting turn of phrase, though I certainly wouldn't characterize my ambivalence about HC that way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home