Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tax rebate 2008

Saints preserve us! Now those economic geniuses in Congress are seriously considering another citizen tax "rebate" of anywhere from $300 - $1000. The whole idea of this just makes me sick.

They did this in 2001 and it cost the government a small fortune to process and deliver these rebates. Plus, the benefit to the tax payer is completely temporary: while it wasn't widely promoted, the "rebate" was really an "advance" on your tax refund, which, if you weren't owed a tax refund (like my husband and I!), you had to pay back the money when you filed your tax return the following year. It's just a big and very expensive shell game. It's like getting a really overpriced loan of your own money. And the economic stimulus benefit is questionable at best.

I plan to let my legislators know what a bone-headed idea this is.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I remember the last time we did this, and how many people I talked to who were shocked, SHOCKED I say, when they realized that rebate was income they had to declare. They felt so BETRAYED. I asked them, "Well, where did you think that money came from?" I hope they don't do this. It's such a mess. And, really, is someone trying to claim the government has so much money we need to give it away right now?

Come on, election 2008. Come on...

11:12 AM  
Blogger 1anonymousmom said...

it's completely a move to get his approval rating up, so he doesn't end his presidency with a 2% approval rating.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Pacman said...

Let's do it right this time. Only rebate half of the folks. All those between A thru M will forego any rebate. All folks between n thru Z will get a rebate. This way half will be happy and the other half may or may not. Since some think it's wasteful anyhow.

BTW: Don't anyone get their hopes up for a new Clinton Presidency.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home