Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 15, 2007

I listen differently now

What a perfect quote:

Political history is largely an account of mass violence and of the expenditure of vast resources to cope with mythical fears and hopes. -Murray Edelman, professor, author (1919-2001)

* * * *
At our synagogue on Rosh Hashanah, I was introduced to a soldier from Ft Drum. A very chatty fellow, we talked for over an hour and he came to dinner at our house the following night. He just finished basic/infantry training at Ft Benning and is stationed at Ft Drum until he heads to Iraq on September 28. I'm grateful and yet sorry to have met someone who is shipping out to Iraq. It makes the whole pointless undertaking even more harrowing. I never supported this invasion, but now it has a personal feel to it - I can't be an objective, political observer anymore. I listen to the news differently, especially the news about Ft Drum - how many soldiers have been killed from there, when they're leaving, when they're coming back. It's all so much harder to stomach now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home