Powered by Blogger

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Thank You for Smoking

I enjoyed this movie, and it is quite funny, but it wasn't quite as satisfying as I had expected. Like many movies, the parts were better than the whole -- some of the scenes were crisp and fresh and delightful. But some were a bit clunky, and at the end, I had a bit of the feeling of, "that's it?"

I didn't notice myself, but read somewhere that although the entire movie is about the smoking lobby, absolutely no one in the movie is ever shown smoking. I also repeatedly read that the movie "doesn't take sides." If that means that *all* the characters have compromised their principles (if they ever had any), I can almost buy it. However, everyone involved with the smoking industry is portrayed as utterly amoral, cynical and singleminded, so the net result is that the whole enterprise seems completely disgusting. That seems like a "side" to me, but maybe I'm especially naive.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home