Powered by Blogger

Monday, March 06, 2006

Brokeback Mountain Crashes

I'm not sorry that Crash won the Best Picture Oscar, because it's a really great movie that I loved. And I think it's win will lead a lot of people to see it that might not have seen it, and that's a good thing, because it really deserves to be seen by lots of people. However, I really thought it was Brokeback Mountain's year, and I was rooting for it because I thought it was really brave and really heartfelt and I really wanted to see that be recognized. I can't help feeling like Brokeback Mountain lost as opposed to Crash winning -- I suspect that too many people in the Academy just couldn't bring themselves to vote for a gay-themed movie, no matter how stupendous it was (no one thought anyone would beat Ang Lee for the Director prize). I'm disappointed for the same reason that I've been so happy that Brokeback Mountain has been something of a sleeper hit -- it's success says that America doesn't care about homosexuality as much as the religious right would have us believe. If it had won Best Picture it would have been the first gay-themed movie to do that. That would have been such a triumph, but I guess America is just not ready.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home