Powered by Blogger

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Misanthropy

A couple of weeks ago, I saw this quote making the rounds on Facebook:

"The cure for stupidity: remove all the warning labels, let the problem fix itself."

I wanted to write a sharp retort, but I couldn't really think of one.

I've been reading the latest book about the Columbine massacre, a very thorough treatment, written by a journalist who covered the story at the time and then spent several years digging deeper to tell the whole story without the filters of rumor and sensationalism.  It's a terrific book, though of course rather depressing.

Eric Harris, the leader of the assault, was not bullied or harrassed at school.  He was probably a certifiable sociopath, who had planned for some time to murder a large number of people mostly because they were too stupid to live. Think Unibomber.

And sadly, he documented his disdain on a website for over a year before the shootings at Columbine.  Imagine how disconcerted I was to hear this popular FB line quoted word-for-word on his website back in 1998 or so.  Intensifies my disgust for its reappearance.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home